Sunday, January 23, 2011

With A Little Help From My Friends


Sometimes, we need a little help from our friends.  Sometimes, we need to ask for help from our friends.  It is much easier to receive help from someone, when they offer to help, before you ever need to ask them.  Most of the time, though, we need to swallow our pride, and ask for that help we need.

In most of our moves from one house to another, we have had the help of friends.  I tell you, without that help, it would have been so much harder.  In the house we are now living in, our children have had to help us move furniture a few times, and I tell you, I am thankful they were here, because some of our furniture is very heavy.

But, I am not just talking of getting help when you move, I am also talking of getting help when things are tough.  In this economy, there are so many hurting people out there.  Even people who have steady jobs, are finding it hard to make ends meet.  Rising interest rates, financially poor choices being made, just to get by, and a materialistic society gone out of control.  All of these things, and more, have made the average person, looking over their shoulder in fear of what might be coming their way.  These are the times, that swallowing pride is important, and asking your friends to pray or help out in some way, may make the difference between making it, and at least having someone in your corner, cheering you on to the goal.

I am so thankful to those friends who offered us help in the many different places, that we needed help in, whether it was  financial, physical, or emotional support.  Having to admit we needed that help, was never easy, but we always saw God help us through.  I heard of a church, that helps their people get out of debt.  They have a program, where they will pay off all the bills, but then the people they help, must be willing to go through a class to help them make wise financial choices for the future, and also help out others in the future.  I think that is a wonderful thing to do.  The world will tack on so many "burdens" to their help.  In Israel, there was a time when the person owing the debt was released, from their bondage.  I think this church is the closest thing we have in modern times, to answer this age old dilemma

God says in His Word, "That He is an ever Present help in times of need."  Do we rely on Him?  Do we really believe that?  I know for me, having to trust Him day to day for physical strength is a must.  I do what I can, but without the prayers of support in this area, and God's help, I would not be able to do what I do each day.  He has healed me of so many things, and I say, "I am a walking miracle".  I believe that.  Just recently, I had a kidney stone.  Now, the last time I had one, I ended up in the hospital, and I had to have a special surgery to break the stone up.  This time felt just as bad, and without insurance, I was so concerned of what would happen to me.  I went to the dr., and he was very good.  He did the necessary tests and scheduled me to see a urologist, but first I had to have an MRI.  Well, I was worried about what that would cost, and sure enough, it was going to be a pretty penny to do this.  I had to walk out of there, crying, because I could not afford it.  I knew this was a time to trust God.  The dr. was going to see if he could get a cheaper deal somewhere else, but I was praying that we wouldn't even have to do that.  I was praying, my friends were praying, and some even helped us financially, to take care of the extra medical bills, due to dr. visits and medicine.  I had to have the pain pills, because the pain was tremendous.  Finally, I was given some great advice on an herbal remedy, and it worked.  I didn't have the pain anymore, and even though I couldn't tell if I passed the stones or not, the pain was gone, so that usually means the kidney stone passed.  God did this.  He healed me.  I know it was a combination of " all things working together, for my good, because I am called by God, according to His will."  I thank everyone who was a part of praying, advising, and just being an emotional support for me during this time.

He is able to do that and more, for our finances, for our physical needs, for our mental and emotional health.  I don't know where you are today in the needs in your life, but God is still a miracle working God.  He touches us with His Presence in very real ways.  Let Him minister to you.  Let Him send people your way to help you.  Be willing to be humble enough to accept whatever help He sends your way.  It may not look the way you wanted it to, but" His ways are not our ways, and His thoughts are not our thoughts."  You can trust Him to know exactly what is best for you.  Believe for miracles.  Believe for God to be real in your life.  I remember a story I read about a church, who began to believe God for healings

Don't give up hope, if you have prayed for something a long time.  Keep at it.  God does hear, and He does answer.  Maybe look to see whether you are praying in God's will or not.  Begin to test the waters of hearing God's Voice in your life.  Find out how He talks to you.  In pictures, in nature, in a still small voice, in the words of friends, in the Bible passages that you read, in the pastor's sermon, in songs?  However He talks to you, begin to listen more intently, and see what great things He has in store for you.  God bless you my friends.   He is our greatest friend, isn't He?

No comments:

Post a Comment