Thursday, January 27, 2011

This Little Light Of Mine

I have always loved that song, "This Little Light Of Mine".  It was one of my favorite ones to sing, anytime I was feeling down and sad.  It would lift me up and make me smile, as I thought of shining for Jesus.

What makes you get joyful and happy?  What brings that heartfelt burst of joy to your spirit?  Mine has always been music.  Now, my family doesn't like me to sing, so I am not saying that its music because I have any talent in that area.  But the Word of God says "Make a joyful noise to the Lord."  So, I think that it is my heart that He hears when I sing.  He hears my praise lifted up, not because I sound beautiful, but lifted up because my heart is full of a desire to worship Him.  That is not to say that if you have a beautiful voice, it is not worship, too.  I am just saying that those of us, who don't have beautiful voices,, need to be able to praise Jesus, too.  I appreciate good voices, but I also appreciate those who can't sing worth a dime, but who I can feel their hearts in their voices, and it is beautiful to me.  That worship is a tone in another spiritual level, that I think most of us don't hear.  Human nature wants beauty in all ways, so if the tone doesn't sound good, people don't want to hear you.  But, in the spiritual realm, it is not the beauty of the timbre and tone that matters, it is the heart message that comes forth to heaven.  In the Bible it says, "God listens to the heart."  That is what He judges the beauty of the song on.  What was in the heart.

I believe that is why Darlene Zschech became so famous with Hillsongs music.  She worships with all her heart.  You not only see it, when she is singing, but you feel it with your spirit.  She is giving it all to God.  So, it is with what is in us.  Our lives are not just about the outward appearance, how we braid our hair, or what we wear, or what nice jewelry we have on, or how well our make-up is done.  It is about what is coming out of our hearts.  Jesus told the disciples once, that it was "not what they ate that would defile them, but what came out of  the heart, because that is what the mouth would speak."  In other words, what is inside of you, is going to come out and if it is not godly, that is what will show your "soulish realm".  You'll get caught "heart handed" so to speak.

So, we know our lives are not our own, when we come to Christ, and if He lives in us, we should be "little Christs".  You see, that is what "Christian" means,  "Little Christs".    That is humbling.  I am to be an example of Christ.  I am to live Christ.  I am to breath Christ.  I am to speak Christ.  A daunting idea in our hurting world.  Am I perfect?  No way.  I wish I were, but then I am sure most of you wish that too.  How can I live the life of Christ, when I am so imperfect?  How can that encourage us today?

Remember one of my recent blogs talked about how our righteousness is far short of God's level?  Remember the only thing that makes us clean is the blood of Jesus.  Well, the only thing that can make us shine and live for Christ, is the Holy Spirit.  We learn to let Him lead us and guide us and we stay in step with Him, and He will bring to our minds, what Christ would do.  Really!  The Bible tells us this is so.  That is encouraging, right?

So, I encourage each of you, to do a little listening.  Stop your busyness for just a few minutes, maybe 5 or 10, and just ask God to send the Holy Spirit to enlighten you to what He wants you to do.  Ask Him to speak to you in a way that you will understand.  Here, I have a wonderful verse that you can pray.  It blesses me, each time I read it.  Now bear with me, because it is a long passage of Scripture, but I believe as you read it, you will be blessed too, and that it will increase your faith.  "[For I always pray to] the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory; that He may grant you a spirit of wisdom and revelation[of insight into mysteries and secrets] in the [deep and intimate] knowledge of Him.
By having the eyes of your heart flooded with light, so that you can know and understand the hope to which He has called you, and how rich is His glorious inheritance in the saints (His set apart ones],
And [so that you can know and understand] what is the immeasurable and unlimited and surpassing greatness of His power in and for us who believe, as demonstrated in the working of His mighty strength,
Which He exerted in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His [own] right hand in the heavenly [places].
Far above all rule and authority and power and dominion and every name that is named [above every title that can be conferred], not only in this age and in this world, but also in the age and the world which are to come.
And He has put all things under His feet and has appointed Him the universal and supreme Head of the church [a headship exercised throughout the church].
Which is His body, the fullness of Him Who fills all in all [for in that body lives the full measure of Him Who makes everything complete, and Who fills everything everywhere with Himself."  Ephesians 1:17 - 23

As you read that, emphasize different things in the passage, to get a different feel each time you read it.  Let it minister to your spirit and soul.  Speak it out loud.  It needs to be spoken aloud to have a greater impact.  Shout it, if you want to.  Let that light that this verse speaks of, shine through you.  Let God pour forth from you, as it says He completes you.  You are whole in Him.  Your failures don't matter in Him, because He takes them and makes them opportunities for greatness.  Let His Light shine.  Let your little light shine, as you allow Him to make it a bigger light than you ever thought was possible.  I used to notice, that as I was doing something God laid on my heart to do, or spoke what He led me to speak, that whatever necklace I was wearing would get really hot.  I actually noticed this, because a friend of mine touched my necklace as I was ministering to her, and she exclaimed out loud, "Your necklace is so hot".  It was very warm to the touch.  I believe God allowed it to happen for a time, so that I could be encouraged that He was indeed using me, for His purposes.  It was a sign for me at that time, of His Presence.  Did I look for a sign?  No, but God gave me one, because He knew how hurt and broken I was, and He knew I needed something from Him to hold onto, in the midst of the battle I was in.  He will do the same for you.  It might not be heat, like that, but it may be a verse that will crop up in your head, or a song that will play at just the right time you need it, or something, that He will give you, to hold onto Him more completely with.   God bless each of you, as you SHINE!

2 comments:

  1. Laura,
    Thank you for your continuing words of encouragement. It strengthens me each time I read your blog. May God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah,

    Thank you for commenting. It helps to know that the blog is touching peoples lives. I am glad it is strengthening you. That is what I feel God led me to start the blog for. To help give a hand of love and encouragement to others. God bless you richly, my new friend.

    ReplyDelete