Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What's In A Name

Do you often wonder what is in a name?  What does that name mean?  Is it important to who you are and what you will become?

I happen to think what you name your child is important.  I always have.  As I have gotten older, I have been more interested in people's names and what they mean and how that affects them.

One reason I have always felt names meant something important, is how God always changed the names of His people when they were at a point of listening to Him.  Abram became Abraham.  Jacob became Israel, Sarai became Sarah, Simon became Peter, Saul became Paul. I believe that God has a special name for each of us, whose meaning is what is important.  Abram means "the lofty one is father", Abraham means "father of the multitude".  God changed Abram's name when He gave him the promise of being the father of a nation.  He said that "they will be like the sand of the sea and the stars in the sky, a multitude you cannot count."    Jacob means "supplanter" (he took his brothers birthright).  Israel means "ruling with the Lord, wrestling with the Lord".  He got his name Israel after wrestling with God all night, and God changed his name.  After that, Israel cleaned up his act and got serious about his destiny.  Sarai means "noble".  Sarah means "princess".  God gave her this name when she was struggling to believe they would have a son.  Simon means "he who hears".   Peter means "rock".  Peter received this name as he struggled with his faith.  Saul means "asked for".  Paul means "small".  Given this name after Jesus showed Himself to Saul on his way to jail and kill Christians.  After that supernatural meeting, Paul became one of the greatest evangelists of Christianity.

So, what is in a name?  Apparently a whole lot.  Are you limited to your name?  Of course not.  Your name cannot stop you from going into the destiny God has for you.  Ask God who you are in His Kingdom.  Ask Him how He sees you.  I used to feel I was a nobody.  Someone God couldn't possibly use in anyway to bring any kind of change to His Kingdom.  As He revealed Himself to me and helped me to see myself as He saw me, I began to see my worth.  So, what He has done for me, is open to all of you.  I am on equal ground with you all.  I had a friend that said one time "If God could do it for Laura, He can do it for me."  That is so very true.  What He does for one, He is more than willing to do for all.

My dear friends, walk in your destiny.  Seek God's face on how He sees you.  I want each of you to know the joy of seeing yourself through God's Eyes.  His eyes are so revealing.  You will find out things that will give you hope and a future.  Things that will help you to go beyond what you ever dreamed of doing.  Be blessed with wisdom and knowledge of your precious lives.  Of how dearly you are loved by the Maker of heaven and earth.  Have a wonderful night and day tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment