Monday, January 10, 2011

Trying to capture beauty is sometimes hard.  We want perfection, and strive for it, and when it doesn't happen, we feel like our lives are not as good as someone else's.

Today, I was trying my hand at knitting again.  I love it, but always feel my attempts are not as good as someone else's.  We can't compare ourselves against others.  Our gifts are different than theirs.  Our perspectives are uniquely our own.  So, why do we do it?

What makes us think theirs is more perfect than ours?  When we look at someone else, why do we think they are prettier, skinnier, taller (well, they may be, but then someone is probably taller than them, right?), shorter, fatter, funnier, smarter, gifted, talented, and so forth?  Why can we not be content to be who God made us to be.

I am realizing that as I look at people out there, there really is no normal.  There is no standard for beauty.  There is no set gift or talent that is more fantastic than the other.  Soon you will find someone who's gift outshines the next person's.  Voices? Art? Writing?  Ect.  In this day and age, we see that talent is being found faster than we can keep up.

Take a good look at yourself.  I had to.  I used to hate myself.  I always thought my sisters outshone me.  They are all beautiful and talented ladies.  So, when God told me to find something I liked about myself, it was hard to do.  I finally realized that I liked my eyes.  I thought I had pretty eyes.  I began there, and soon, I learned to love myself just the way I am.  I love myself more today than I did when I was young and skinny.  I know who I am much better today, and I realize that I am somebody worth loving.  I am someone who has something of worth to give out to others.  I am not limited by others perceptions of me.  I know I am a beloved child of God.  I love being a child of God.

Find your "eyes" my dear friends.  Find your beauty.  Find those things that make you uniquely "You".  God bless you tonight, and may your life be changed by realizing what a wonderful, unique, and beautiful person you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment