Friday, January 14, 2011

It's All In Your Perspective

I got this picture when we were driving through a shopping center in Manteca, CA.  I thought the design was really neat, with the angle that I was seeing it at.  My perspective happened to be just right, to capture this great design.

That is how it is for us too.  Sometimes we need to adjust our perspective in just such a way, so that we can see things more clearly.  We need to get a different view of the situations we are in, so that we can adjust our thinking.

I will give you an example of that.  Around the summer of  our twenty-seventh anniversary, I began to think I had a right to "have my own way" in things.  I became a bit grumpy and snappy with both Isolino and the kids.  I wanted it to be about me.  I wanted things to go my way for a change.  Well, one day I was grumping in my mind about something Isolino was doing.  Something small and something that shouldn't even have been a problem, but I was making it a problem in my mind.  God began to speak to me.  He was very stern with me, because the road I was taking was a dangerous one.  He told me that I was making mountains out of molehills, and I wasn't appreciating what I had.  Boy, talk about being spiritually spanked!  I began to ask Him to forgive me, and I began to work on changing my attitude right then.

What God said to me was true.  My perspective was on my own needs, and I had forgotten that my needs were being taken care of, it was just that I had begun to think that I deserved to take out my displeasure on those I loved, because they weren't doing enough for me.  It wasn't that they weren't, it was that I had suddenly decided that they had to do more to make me happy.  You may say, "Well, you do deserve more."  I have all I have need of.  Truly.  I have a roof over my head, I have food, I have transportation, I have family, I have friends, I have clothes, I have fun.  I have a husband who loves me the way I am, and kids that appreciate their mom, even with all her flaws.

My problem was that I lost sight of those things and began to "wish for what others had".  That is the road to disaster.  Paul said, "I have learned to be content in all things."  He then quoted all the ways he'd learned to be content.  He went through stonings, being a prisoner, being shipwrecked, being rich, being poor, having clothes, not having clothes, and so on.  I have never been stoned with rocks.  I have never been a prisoner.  I have never been shipwrecked.  I have always had food to eat and clothes to wear.  So, learning to be content that summer was what God wanted of me.  He wanted me to not be looking outside for the answer, but inside.  Looking at what thoughts were holding me captive to discontent.

We are to take our thoughts captive and make them line up with God's thoughts.  We are to learn to praise in all things.  I had lost sight of those two things.  I had stopped being alert, and because of it, had let "stinking thinking" become a part of my mindset.  I definitely needed a new perspective.

How about you?  Do you need to take some thoughts captive?  Do you need to hold them up to Philippians 4:8?  Do you need to praise through some situations?  I don't ask you this to bring you down, but to lift you up to a higher place.  As I got rid of those thoughts that were bringing me discontent, I found my peace and joy again.  I found delight in my situation again.  I was lifted up to a better place.  I pray that you, too, can see that happen in your life.

I see so many sad and hurting and rude people out there.  It is because they need "their time" of "me".  Not realizing that to get to what they want, it will take them surrendering their "me" and submitting to God.  God gave me a discipline to change my thinking a long time ago.  When I was unhappy about my marriage, God told me to find 5 things that I truly liked about my husband that day.  As I did that exercise each day, I began to find more and more things to love about my Isolino.  That is something I began to do about my discontent.  I found things to be grateful about each day.

I encourage you to try this.  It really works, and it does make you see things in such a different light.  Change your perspective to new heights.  I would love to hear if this works for you too.  I would love to see more content and happy people out there.  I pray that each of you will be uplifted and encouraged in your lives.  God bless you richly in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment