Friday, January 14, 2011

Turning A New Leaf

In January, we always talk of turning a new leaf, of getting a new start in our lives.  Many of us plan to lose weight, work out more, eat healthier, read more, talk to friends and family more, be more involved with our family and church or activities we love to do.

What kind of new leaf change do you want to make?  Is it personal, for business, for fun?  Are you planning to make a whole new lifestyle change or just small changes?  Do you plan to work on the inner you or the outer you?  Do you plan to laugh more, hug more, love more, stay in touch more, go to church more, be on time more?  Do you plan to weed out habits that hinder you from going forward?  How about the good things in your life, that still interfere with what you know you need to be doing?

All of these things are good to think about.  I believe the reason we look forward to the new year, is we want to get rid of old things that have been keeping us from all the things we want in our lives.  I had a friend (Cheryl, this is you), who made this statement to me once.  "Each time I go into a room, I try to do one thing to make it better."  She was trying to work on getting her house in order, and that was the solution she had come up with.  Do you know, that one statement has helped me tremendously over the years.  I may not be able to do everything that I had planned to do, but if I just accomplished one thing, to make it better, than I had done something to improve things.

You see, I took this for not just cleaning a house, but for anything in my life.  If I just took one positive step, I had done something good.  I may not have accomplished it all, but I had taken a step forward.  I wasn't taking a step back, and I wasn't standing still.  I have been dealing with a lot of physical limitations, and that can really bring you down in your mind and spirit, but following this one rule of thumb, has helped me not to dwell on the "not done's", but to applaud the "did do's".

Perhaps you have struggled with some of these things in your life.  Take just one step to make it better.  Don't try to go the whole complete journey in a month.  Take it one step at a time, one day at time, one minute at a time.  Soon you will be applauding those major steps you are making.  I had a real addiction to soda at one time.  I am not completely weaned off it yet, but I made a conscious decision that it was not good for me.  It was a comfort blanket in my life.  I began to wean myself from this soda bug, one day at a time.  There were days that I'd fall back and have a large gulp of the sweet stuff, but as I was getting away from it, I began to not crave it so much and soon, I realized I wanted water more than soda, and I felt more refreshed and saturated with the water, whereas if I chose the soda, I was still thirsty.  My thirst was only quenched with the refreshing taste of water.  Now, if I have a soda, it is within reason and it does not make me yearn for it, like it used to.

God's Word says, "Do not be weary in well doing, for in due season you shall reap your reward.".  In other words, we need to keep on keeping on.  Don't let one failure or many failures stop you from trying.  Just pick yourself up, and keep on going forward.  Some people do things more quickly than others.  Some plod along at a steady pace, and seem to get there just as well.  Find your pace.  Do one positive thing a day to go for the goals you've set yourself.  Turn that new leaf into a budding tree.  I'm rooting for you.  I know you can do it.  Once you have put your hand to the plow, don't look back.  Just keep moving forward.  I believe in you.  Hear me cheering?  You can ask my family, how loud I like to cheer for my team.  They usually move away from me because I am so exuberant about what is happening on the field.  That is how I am cheering for you.  Hallelujah!  We have a Father who loves us so much, He helps us along.  He is there too, cheering you on, and there is a host of witnesses in heaven who are cheering you on too.

God bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment