Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Reflections Of The Light

I think often of how we are to reflect God's Light into the world around us.  How do we do that?  How can we let the light so shine, that others notice and see it?

I remember when I still lived in Turlock and I was going to a Bible study with a good friend of mine.  I was learning so much, from our lessons.  It was a Kay Arthur study, and she gets very deep into the meaning of the Word of God.  She was so honest with her past and how far God had brought her and healed her and was now using her to help others.  Her ministry was called, "Precepts Ministry"  because we are to build upon God's precepts.  Precepts upon precepts.  In other words, we are to build upon the first true knowledge we receive from God, and then build upon that with the next truth He brings to us.  I felt like God's Light was flowing out of me in such a mighty way.  One day I was going to the gas station, before the Bible study, and as I was going in to pay, a couple were going in at the same time.  I looked over at them and smiled, and they went a little bit ahead of me, and they both turned around to look at me again, and they had this quizzical, but delighted look on their faces.  I didn't think about it until later, but I realized they had seen something that intrigued them.  They didn't know what it was, but it had captured their attention in such a way, that they took a second look.  No, it wasn't my appearance, it was God's Light that was upon me that day.  It attracted them, and made them look again.  I had a similar situation happen to me when I had moved to the foothills.  I was in a fast food place in Jackson, and I was enjoying a fun meal with my kids.  I noticed two ladies looking at me with mad faces.  I immediately began praying, because I had no idea why these ladies were looking at me with anger, but it affected me.  I didn't want to lose my joy and fun that I was having with my kids, because we had already had a hard time, but we weren't going to let it ruin our day, and God had blessed us anyway, with the lady at the counter, who had been mad at the customer in front of us, and then when we came up, and I was nice to her, not rude because of how long it had been taking to get the orders done, she responded with kindness, after she had snapped at me in the beginning.  I know God's Light was shining that day.  I know the two ladies didn't like that Light, and were having a hard time being close to us.  They eventually got up and moved away from us, because that is how much it affected them.  I kept praying that God would bless them, and that He would not let His joy leave us.    The kids and I had such a fun time, and we left without having any bad drama, due to these ladies.  In fact, due to our prayers, the atmosphere in that whole place turned around, and we ended up having a fun time of conversation with quite a few people in the place.

You see, when we let God's Light reflect out of us, it allows others to be affected whether for good or not.  If they want what God has to give them, they will be attracted to the Light, but if they are wanting their own way, and the way of darkness, they will not want us to be around.  I remember reading a story once of a group of Christians going to a Celtic Fair where there was a lot of New Age things going on.  They had their picnic close to a Palm reader's stall.  They were praising God, and praying quietly to themselves.  The palm reader was having a difficult time, and finally came out of her stall saying "I can't get any good readings today. Something is blocking my readings".  God's Light so affects the darkness that it can't operate.  How many of us know this?  You have the power of God within you.  You change the atmosphere, just by being there in God's appointment.  He leads you to where you need to be, and He can charge the atmosphere with His Light.  Some places are darker than others, and will take longer to make a difference in, but don't give up.  If God has placed you somewhere, than you are meant to be His Ambassador there.

Let His Fragrance, the Fragrance of His Sacrifice feel the atmosphere around where you are.  I have smelt the sweet Presence of Jesus, a few times, and it is so wonderful.  It has comforted me in times of deep stress.  I have all of a sudden noticed a sweet fragrance in the air, as I have been crying out to Him, and all of a sudden, my heart is comforted by knowing He was there.  He was answering my call of distress.  He was changing the atmosphere!  Let Him minister His Light and Aroma to you.  Let Him be real in your life.  Let His Love pour out to you.  Let Him give you all that you need to do what He calls you to do.  My dear friends and family, He longs to bring His Kingdom into our midst.  He does that through us.  Let Him use you to bring hope and healing to others.  I know you are important.  Each of us has a part in the Kingdom.  Each of us is a part of Christ's Body.  Let us encourage and build each other up.  Let's have the eyes of our understanding opened to see and hear what the Spirit of the Lord is saying.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it just the Best fragrance then anything out there that the world has to offer? And, we don't have to pay Big bucks to get it...Totally Awesome~
    Plus, this Sweet Smelling Perfume is made and created by the Upmost Designer Himself~
    I believe it's a One of a Kind Perfume that is given to each of us...
    With different chemical reactions made individually to fulfill a need in the way Christ designed and created for each one of us to have!
    It's something the world can surely not bring us, no matter what celebrity they hire is trying to lure us to purchase.
    God perfected for me the exact balance of Christ's made for me purfume according to Him, as He does for others~
    A special moment, a time set aside for us to permeate in the lovely fragrance of His Abiding and Everlasting Love~

    Dear Laura, in reading your Encouraging Words this late evening, God brought to me this verse:
    From Proverbs 27:9

    "Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart,
    and the pleasantness of a friend
    springs from their heartfelt advice."

    That is what you do, Thank you my dear sister in the Lord~
    Love you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy,

    Such a beautiful reply. I am awed at how God uses you, to encourage me. I love that verse in Proverbs. How sweet His Fragrance is. I am so thankful for your friendship and your wise advice has helped me too. I am so glad you understood what I was sharing. I pray all could smell that sweet fragrance! I love you, too

    ReplyDelete