Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What To Do With Lemons

I have a friend who made me think about what to do with lemons.  You see, when we are given hard situations, we usually say, "Make Lemonade out of those lemons".  But really, what do you do with lemons?

You can eat them, you can squeeze the juice onto fruits and vegetables, and that helps keep them fresher.  You can squeeze them over cooked food to give it more flavor.  You can squeeze it into juice, and you can make that juice into lemonade, or just use it for cooking, cleaning, or many other uses, like putting it onto your hair to give it highlights, put it on your arms and face to get rid of freckles (does it work?), and you can put it into your water to give it more zip.

Sailors use to keep lemons on the ship to get rid of scurvy, which was a horrible disease to get.  It is used to help get rid of colds, flus, and I use it to help me keep kidney stones at bay.  I take a tablespoon of honey and chase it with a tablespoon of lemon juice, when I have a sore throat, and it seems to soothe my throat and I feel it helps kill those germs.  I also put it into the tea I drink when feeling a cold or flu coming on, and it makes me feel better.  I think it helps with coughing.

I guess the point I am trying to make, is that there really are a lot of uses for lemons.  They are a very versatile and important fruit.  The citrus in them is so healthy and beneficial, and I am sure there are many things I didn't even touch on, of how good they are for you.  So, are the situations we find ourselves in, somehow more than we see?  If we really look at those situations, are there any lessons or benefits we can get from them?

I remember reading about a minister in Russia, who was put in the Siberian prison.  He was there for many many years.  Finally, the Russians were going to release him, but when he found out, he sent word to his wife that he really had to stay there, because he was doing so much for Christ, that to leave, would do more harm than good.  She told him to continue doing God's work.  How many of us would do that?  Here this minister found lemons to be good for him.  He was put into prison, but prison wasn't able to keep his spirit from finding ways to serve Jesus, and as he did, he was more free, than anyone could believe, except his wife, who knew Jesus ruled in this situation.

For quite a few years, Jesus has really been after me to have my first reaction be praise to His Name.  I am still learning that process, each day.  I admit, it is not easy for me.  I get to grumping and griping about things, and then I realize, I need to just praise Jesus.  I just need to remember to lift His Name on high and to fill my mouth with the wonders of Who He Is.  Paul's message to us in Philippians always hits my heart about this point.  "Rejoice in the Lord, always, again I say, Rejoice!"  So, if you, too, struggle to rejoice at first.  Try to make lemonade.  Make the situation sweet with praises to our King.  Let Him come into your problems, with your praise drawing Him close to you, so that He inhabits the atmosphere around you.  When He comes in, the problems go out.

I have a friend who gave me a sentence for my life.  It is "If you worry, why pray, and if you pray, why worry."  This is so true.  If we are praying to Jesus, then we must trust that He has heard and answered.  So, therefore, we shouldn't be worrying.  So, lets make some uses out of the lemons we are given, and lets encourage one another, not to let these situations get us down, but to wrap our arms together, and make a strong wall against the schemes of the enemy.  We hold strong together, so even the weakest link, is stronger because of the care and encouragement given.  Let us pray in faith.  Let us be thrilled with the light that comes with the knowledge of Christ.  Let us embrace our struggles with the attitude of gratitude and say, "Even in this, I will praise the Lord".  Be strong and courageous my dear brothers and sisters in Christ.  The Lord is with you.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for helping me see the "lemons" of my life in a new light! Inspiring article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, SF. I appreciate you leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete